How to Install Kodi on Roku | A Complete Guide. This article is exclusively for entertainment freaks, who own a Roku device and have been looking for a solution for How to install Kodi on Roku? Well, here in this article we are presenting you with some useful piece of information you can use to fulfill your entertainment thirst with the duo Kodi-Roku. Before that, I would like to explain some unique and outstanding features of both Kodi and Roku.
- 1 Why would anyone want to install Kodi on Roku?
- 2 Can I install Kodi on Roku?
- 2.1 Then how can I use Kodi on Roku?
- 2.2 METHOD 1 : Procedure to use Kodi on Roku using a Windows PC
- 2.3 METHOD 2 : Procedure to use Kodi on Roku using an Android Device
- 2.4 Share this:
- 2.5 Related
Roku is the most successful series of digital media player set-top boxes, which streams the best top class content in the form of various channels using internet. Get Kodi addons for movies and enjoy.
- You can access over 3500+ channels
- You can access content from on-demand and most successful services like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, Amazon Cloud Player, BBC iPlayer, Tubi TV, Pandora Radio, Time Warner Cable and the list just goes on increasing.
- Latest release of Roku (Roku 4) supports 4K (Ultra HD) streaming
Kodi (formerly known as XMBC) is a ‘open-source media player software application’ which supports for multiple operating systems and hardware platforms. It has won many prestigious awards since its inception.
- It allows you to access almost all types of streaming media content such as movies, TV shows, music, podcasts and more from top content providers available.
- Supports over 75+ languages (you can’t find this feature in many apps)
- Supports Windows, Android, Linux, macOS, iOS, Apple TV OS and Free BSD.
- Best part is that, Kodi is an open-source project to which any developer can contribute source code for its development. That’s why there are numerous Kodi Add-Ons available out there.
- Above all, it’s absolutely FREE
(Note : Add-Ons are the major reason for increasing demand for Kodi. Moreover, it’s for FREE)
Also Read: Best Movie Apps for Android 2017
Why would anyone want to install Kodi on Roku?
If, you have a Roku streaming stick, which obviously means you are a big entertainment and HD lover. Though Roku gives you access to 3,500+ outstanding channels, you need to substract some bucks from your pocket to access their full services. On the other hand, Kodi allows you to access to unlimited content from various channels through add-ons for FREE. That’s it. A simple and noteworthy reason for Roku users desire to install Kodi on their Roku.
Above all, features that I have mentioned above of both Roku and Kodi would let everybody to try the combo.
Note : Many Kodi add-ons allows users to access copyrighted content without seeking permission from copyright owners for FREE. This has attracted world-wide audience to install Kodi on their devices. However, team Kodi never supports those kind of add-ons in whatever manner and also never restricted those add-ons too.
Can I install Kodi on Roku?
A BIG NO. You cannot install Kodi on Roku. But, don’t worry, there are alternative solutions like any other problem have. Check them below.
Then how can I use Kodi on Roku?
Firstly, do not think installing Kodi on Roku is the only way to enjoy the Kodi-Roku combination. There are some alternative solutions to suck the entertainment juice. As for now, there are two different solutions to stream Kodi content on Roku. All you need to have is one of the below combinations.
Combination 1 : Roku (Roku 2/3/4) + Roku device + Windows PC (Windows 8.1 or higher)
Combination 2 : Roku (Roku 2/3/4) + Roku device + Any Android Device (mobile, tablet, Smart TV)
METHOD 1 : Procedure to use Kodi on Roku using a Windows PC
à Settings to be done on your Roku
Home à Settings à System Update à at least 5.2 version à Home à Settings à Screen Mirroring à Enable Screen Mirroring à OK à Done
- Press Home button on your Roku device
- Select System Update in Settings menu and check your device has the latest version software (your device needs at least version 5.2), if not update it to the latest version available.
- Now, come back to Home à select Screen Mirroring in Settings menu
- Select Enable Screen Mirroring option and press OK
You are done with your Roku part, now you need to do some basic settings to your Windows PC. Follow below steps.
à Settings to b done on your Windows PC
Start Menu à Settings à Devices à Connected Devices à Add a Device à Select your Roku à Done (Steps to follow in Windows 10)
- Click on the Start Menu/Press Windows key
- In Settings, click on Devices, then select Connected Devices. click on Add a Device option
- Now, select your Roku (the one you just enabled Screen Mirroring). Your Roku will be added to your PC. Now, your Roku streaming device screen will turn into purple color which means your PC and Roku are mirrored.
As I said above, Windows is one of the Kodi supported platforms, so you can install Kodi in your PC. Open Kodi and stream whatever you want. Whatever you play on your PC, it will be shown/reflect on your Roku device (due to Screen Mirroring Effect). That’s it, simple. Now you can enjoy the best combo of Kodi-Roku.
METHOD 2 : Procedure to use Kodi on Roku using an Android Device
As mentioned in the method 1, follow the same steps to enable Screen Mirroring on your Roku streaming device. Then, follow the below steps to mirror your Android device (mobile/smart TV/tablet etc) on Roku.
à Settings to be done on your Android device
Settings à Display à Cast Screen/Screen Mirroring à Enable Wireless Display
- Make sure your android device is working on latest software update (at least 4.4.3 version is needed). Update it to the newer version if your android device is working on older versions.
- Now, click on Display option in Settings menu in your android device
- Select Cast Screen/Screen Mirroring Depending on the type of device you may encounter one of the options above.
- After that, in Cast Screen/Screen Mirroring optin, find the checkbox named Enable Wireless Display and click on it.
- Now, you will find the name of your Roku device, select it. Your Roku streaming device will turn into purple color which indicates your android device and Roku are mirrored.
That’s it. You are done with the simple procedure. Now install Kodi on your android device and stream your beloved content, the same will be reflected on your Roku device too (due to mirroring).
In case if you are using/ if you have decided to use Kodi add-ons which streams copyrighted content, then you need to be very careful to avoid legal implications. In some countries, it is highly illegal to encourage piracy. So, it is highly recommended to use a VPN to avoid such implications.
Finally, you are at the end of this article. We came to conclusion believe you got a good idea on install kodi on roku. combination from this informative article. Hoping this article gave some useful insights to Roku holders. Please note that, we are not recommending anyone to use unofficial Kodi add-ons since it is illegal to do so. Let us see if XMBC releases a compatible version of Kodi to Roku. Do share this article with your friends (entertainment freaks who own a Roku) if you find it useful. Subscribe our blog for more interesting articles.